Monday, October 10, 2011

My Signature Piece


I did this piece a couple of months ago and it sold last month at The Old Red Lumberyard sale in my hometown of McKinney. This sale takes place usually the third weekend of the month but on occasion is moved to an earlier or later week depending on circumstances.

Anyway, back to my "Signature" piece. I purchased or should say had the winning bid on a cute little Birdseye Maple pot cupboard from a auction house I like to go to on Friday nights. I wish I had remembered to take a before picture but the top veneer had some issues so as much as I love Birdseye or Curly Maple I decided to paint it and while trying to decide which Annie Sloan Chalk Paint color I was going to use I remembered I had purchased this cute bird print paper from a local store on the downtown McKinney Historic Square. The paper's background was an interesting greenish blue that really didn't match any of the ASCP colors so I went with a custom latex paint match from my local Home Depot and away I went with sanding, painting, decoupaging the paper to the top and drawer front, followed by Martha Stewart glaze in Tide Pool, staining over the decoupaged paper, protective top coat, and ASCP dark wax. Whew, I know lots of steps but don't you think it was worth it.


I forgot to mention that I lined the drawer and bottom of cupboard with pages from an old music text book I purchased at an estate sale




I also forgot that I'm not that talented to paint freehand like some people I know (my friend and Rusty Pearls partner, Debi) so I stenciled a bird on the front of the cupboard door.

Here's a side view




I had no idea when I posted this piece on our Rusty Pearls Facebook page that it was going to get the love that it did and when I've met people at one of our month sales at the Old Red Lumberyard that I people know who we are because of this piece that they've seen posted on the Lumberyard Facebook page. In fact it was today that a visitor to our page No Sugar Extra Cream said she couldn't get this piece out of her mind and that it should be one of my "Signature" pieces.

Here she is again



Let me know what you think.

Linda

1 comment:

  1. Well you already know what I think.... :-) And thank you for the mention too. You are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete