Saturday, October 29, 2011

Texas Pride


I picked up this chest about a month ago from Craig's List and no he didn't look like this when I got him and I forgot to take a picture before I painted him. He's an antique, Yellow Pine (I think) ca 1880s to 1890s. He had the most unusual joinery, it's called Knapp Joinery and this enabled me to date him. I sanded his top, restained and poly coated the top. I then painted his body in ASCP Aubusson Blue and the interior in French Linen.



When I bought him I knew immediately that he wanted to be gussied up in a most particular way but I was hesitant to go all the way. I took him to our monthly vintage sale here in McKinney, TX called The Old Red Lumberyard, and he was admired and fawned over but returned to my humble abode.

I listed him on Craig's List and was contact by someone who was interested in him and when I mentioned the extra special touch I was thinking about giving him, she became all excited and requested that I do that for her for an extra charge which I was happy to oblige.


I know, you're thinking "It's just a star and the word Texas" but to Texans this is a flag and is part of Texas legacy. This is the first flag of the Republic of Texas, and because Sam Houston was the 1st President of the Republic, I have named him Sam Houston in his honor. 


Sam went to his new digs, a young man who is proud to be a Texan. I hope he enjoys this chest and I'm on the lookout for a new piece that just might get another of our Texas flags.

Adios,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment